Friday, January 19, 2007
Domesday is Nigh
Imagine sitting in your little mud hut, tired after a long hard day of mud-farming. You put your feet up on a log and start to sink into relaxation. A calm begins to wash over you, lapping at your feet and up your legs like a warm tide. Not even the excitement of tomorrow's public flogging could motivate you from your seat. Just as your eyes are about to seal out the beams of sunlight that invade your cabin through the thatched roof, a loud knock almost turns your pitiful door into a pile of splinters. Outside is some guy wearing royal fabrics that are weathered and covered in muck from travelling. On the cart behind him is a giant square thing filled with parchment. Perched over the object with a massive feather quill, is the boy version of the man standing before you. His mouth opens and starts spitting out imperial decrees like apple seeds. Then he starts asking you questions like, "'Ow many bishops d'you 'ave in this 'ere shire?" or "If you are in possession ov any beasts, 'ow many and ov whut sort might they be?" If your medieval mind was like a webpage, then it would be visiting http://www.whoisthiswanker.com/ or maybe viewing images of pitchforks flying through the air after a retreating carriage of the King. --Of course I have no idea what is was like back then, but the collection of the information for the Domesday Book could not have been an enjoyable undertaking. However, it was still completed, amazingly. As far as the hypertext version goes, I can't say it would be as thrilling as the digital Bayeux Tapestry, simply because it's all statistics and information. It doesn't have any stories and not one single spear sticking out of anybody. It does provide a peak into the middle ages that a realtor or land surveyor might find fascinating - and those groups are often cast to the side when it comes to historical entertainment. One final comment on the power of books. The idea I appreciate most about this reading comes from the line "The fact that the scheme was executed and brought to complete fruition in two years is a tribute of the political power and formidable will of William the Conqueror." The book he compiled shows his strength as a leader more concretely than the wars and land he won. I think that speaks highly to the influence of the written word.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I had so much fun reading your post. I love the poetry. I love the imagination. Way beyond summary. Thanks!
I loved your intro story as well...that is exactly the type of scene I envisioned when I was discovering the Domesday Book. very creative! I also agree with you that, in comparison with the Bayeux Tapestry, the hypertext version is hardly as exciting. But simply the fact that both are currently in hypertext is impressive, and it allows people who ARE interested in The Domesday Book and things of such a nature to be satisfied.
haha! That is awesome! You are a really talented writer. Any time I watch a movie that takes place back then, I always think about how strange it is that they are people just like us. They are biologically the same and they all found ways to adapt to their limited surroundings. (at least limited by today's standards) I was totally thinking the same thing about how the fact that he decided to have a census for his land shows that he cares about his people.
"la professore???" Who the heck is that??
Post a Comment