I really don't enjoy reading articles about marketing schemes and all the hard work that advertising execs go through to sling garbage to teens and "tweens". Whenever something that people use and enjoy comes along, the focus is immediately shifted from "how can this be better" to "how can we sell this". This is not a new phenomenon, and it is not going away any time soon. The rest of the article, "The MySpace Generation" by Jessi Hempel, talks about various companies scrambling for a slice of a commodity that hasn't even begun to finish taking shape. The amounts of money CEO's like "Red Rupert" Murdoch throw around at these web designing twenty-something’s is obscene. Ever since the web flickered onto screens worldwide, it has been like a slippery bar of soap in the hands of men wearing suits. Businessmen try to grab it and squeeze as much money out of it as they can, but it slips. Politicians notice all the commotion and don't like how some people are using the soap, so they try and take hold, but it is hard to get a grip. The reason the web is so slippery is because it is constantly growing, and changing, and covers so much area that the idea of borders and boundaries stretches paper thin. This is why I love the web.
As for the video, "The Machine is Us/ing Us", all I can say is, very cool. For many years, science fiction authors have written about people creating a machine that becomes self-aware. Then it either creates Austrian or Australian (whether it’s the Terminator or Agent Smith) enemies who are going to kill us all. I know this is not what this particular video is saying, but I think that if one uses the metaphor of feeding something it implies that the "something" is some kind of entity that is alive. The web is not alive. I did not watch The Matrix too many times. However, an entity is defined as:
that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving)
The web is an entity. It is a growing, learning entity that is made up of and sustained by the people existing outside of it. I don’t think that it will somehow learn to hate us and then try to destroy us, but I do think that with the increasing amount of users and information being poured into the space it exists in, that someday, maybe far in the future, we will see elements of the web develop into something else we have never seen before. What that will be I have no idea, it’s just fun to toss around the idea. I bet if I started reading Sci-Fi again, it might provoke some interesting thoughts.
4 comments:
I really enjoyed your soap analogy, and thought it was quite clever. I never really thought about the web in that way, but that is what is has become. It's quite unfortunate that just about everything turns into "how can we sell this" instead of making it better. I also liked your comment about the web evolving in the future. With the way things have advanced in such a short time I can't even begin to imagine what the future will be like. It is definitely something that will be interesting to experience and watch.
In the world of technology, impossible, seems to have little meaning or better yet, any effect on progression. I hestitate to think that one day machines will "hate us" but, I also find it difficult to rule out completely, especially since computers are already being taught how to think for themselves. How far could feelings be? I suggest that you watch this series in the Discovery channel called Future Cars, it is every wednesday at eight o'clock. They probably have all the episodes online, if they do, check out the one on the technologies within the car, that one also talks about the automatrix.
I have to agree with Michelle. Soap analogy is very accurate. I think companies do seem to lose the general idea behind websites like myspace.com. The purpose of this site is beginning to be obscured because of all of the advertisements. The internet is evolving, and is not all for the better. I am beginning to wonder is our machines have barriers or limits to what they can do. It seems like when we say something is impossible then someone finds a way to make it possible.
I noticed the same things in the youtube video, during that section with the highlighted type, I couldn't help but think of "The Terminator".
Post a Comment