Wednesday, February 7, 2007

A SNERT with a Tissue

Is a SNERT with a tissue still as snot-nosed? I've never heard that term in my life and I've been using the internet since the days of BBS's and direct connects on 14.4 baud rate modems. I like Kurt Vonnegut though and I will only accept being called a SNERT if it is in fact a term coined by him. Back when I upgraded to a 28.8 modem, I remember imagining how lightening quick my internet would now be. After the shrill squeals and rough static of the connection being made, I would be seamlessly connected to a world of at least a couple hundred other lame dudes who knew how to use their 486s well enough to trade copies of the Anarchist's Cookbook and play Doom with each other while the rest of the world played in something called sunlight. The internet and use of computers only a little over ten years ago was considered a waste of time. However, slowly but surely, scenarios I read in SF books became a reality. Now computers dominate most people's time, and those who are not up to speed are cast aside into a pile of old Commodores and dial-up modems. So now that everyone has logged on and use colons and parentheses to express their emotions, we can have the Psychology of Cyberspace. The idea that on a mass scale people are exploring their identities, and creating new ones online is incredible. The impact this is going to have on our minds and society will be so great that looking back on the days when interacting with other didn't require typing skills will be like trying to understand Mayan culture. On one hand I think this will be a good thing, in that people may end up being happier because of their ability to change themselves and be whatever they want. The sad thing, as I see it, is that people already have that ability but are just completely unaware or untrained in how to use it. Computers facilitating introspection and discovery is really neat, but the dependence them and the need for them as the medium could be dangerous. People think identity theft is scary, what will it be like when your identity is really online and someone messes with it? What if when we're not at a keyboard, the bodies we use really do become nothing more than just a vessel that brings us to the fridge for food, and to work for a paycheck? I love the web and what it does for me just as much as the chick checking her Facebook next to me, but how far will it go? It's all ready a light year ahead from where I started and it's only going faster.

5 comments:

Lela said...

You made me feel better acknowledging that you did not know what a snert was. This is one reading that I definitely appreciated the hypertext feature so that I could figure out what we were talking about and then return to my reading. It is pretty scary to think about what lurks out there and even posting pictures only provides a false sense of security. Imagine what our class would think if you did where the butterfly costume and pose for my media representation, which by the way is a wonderful offer!

Amanda Crum said...

It really does seem that in the not too distant future, as generations are born into technology-driven worlds, it may be unfathomable for people to imagine only f2f interactions. That is so scary. There are so many wonderful aspects of f2f interactions. Dealing with the wonderful and even the awkward social situation is crucial to the development of a person's sense of "self." It seems like there are so many social anxiety disorders these days, and while interactions on the internet might be less stressful, is that really a true coping mechanism...to hide behind a screen? Isn't that hiding from reality?

Bryan said...

I don't think we are ever going to grow away from face to face interactions as a society. I think people need to feel the social interaction that we gain from speaking face to face. Some may hide from reality behind a false face that is hidden behind a computer, but generally people like to go out with friends or visit their family.

Insomniac6987 said...

I was actually just talking about this with my dad the other day. One of things my dad does is sell real estate and we were saying how so many things are already switching from f2f to online. While I think eventually it will only be neccessary to see family, significant others, and some friends in person, some fields of work will probably last in person longer than others. Real estate may be one of the longer ones. While now they have 360 degree webcams and stuff to look at the houses you want to buy, nobody is going to be satisfied until they walk through it, feel it, and see it for themselves.

I agree. It's too bad people don't notice they can change without the internet.

Candicles said...

"f2f" - What a yuppie word! Why would a guy with a PhD wanna sound so hip? Reeks of something fishy to me. All psychologists are wackos anyways. I was wondering if Vonnegut really had come up with SNERT. I Wiki'd it and the only thing that came up was Hargar the Horrible (his dog's name is Snert.) Fictional Vikings aside, I also found that SNERT can also mean "Snotty Nosed Egotistical Rotten Teenager," "Sexually Nerdish Expressively Recidivistic Troll" and slang for "yellow snow (???)" When I Google'd "SNERT" and "Vonnegut," there was some credit to the claim but what was most interesting was this:

http://everything2.org/?node_id=1076842

A schizophrenic pediatrician. Imagine!