Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Rant in C:\ Major

This article, "How Computers Change the Way We Think", by Sherry Turkle, was pretty dry. For most of it, I didn't really know what Turkle was talking about. So I guess I didn't really agree with most of what she said, but I didn't disagree either. Except for her comments on privacy and how "college students seem uninterested in violations of privacy and in increased governmental and commercial surveillance." I'm a college student and I am sure as hell interested in my privacy being violated by The Man and his buddy, The Business Man. Those guys are always up to something, and it's not my, or any other student's fault that they take every chance they get to peak into our lives. She then says, "In 10 years, ideas about the relationship of privacy and government will require even more active pedagogy." Why in ten years? Why not NOW? One of the main reasons we're in this crazy environment now is that at some point it was decided that the Constitution should no longer be required reading in school. Sure, we'll fly the flag in every classroom, but we don't want those kids learning their rights before we get a chance to take them all away. She also mentions something about when there is more education about silent surveillance, there might be more political engagement with the issue. That's true, but that's not the whole issue. Teens need to be educated on more than the silent spies. They need to know the everyday rights they have, that are taken for granted from lack of awareness, are being quietly stripped away, and soon the only ones to blame for not knowing will be the themselves. Anyways...the rest of her points seem valid, but also seem like she's stretching them out a bit for a better paper.

3 comments:

Lela said...

Perhaps the professor is attributing the lack of concern for privacy and copyrights to the overwhelming trend of social sites like MySpace and online pirating of video and music. It would seem that those concerned with privacy wouldn’t be posting all of their personal information, including photographs in various stages of drunkenness and undress, on the web for the world to see. I think she goes too far by implying that all college students are not concerned with personal rights and freedom. To me, political activism is compelled by need and until any particular group feels sufficient pressure or oppression you will not see them swing into action. Based on the thoughts you have expressed I would say it is probably coming.

Candicles said...

I would say there is a certain link betwixt MySpace, our generation's lack of self-privacy, and the whole "hooking up" thing. In all honesty, I don't think the "undress" of MySpace has anything to do specifically with this particular generation, it just has to do with teenage stupidity.

PS YOU ARE A LUDDITE.

Leighton said...

Who is a luddite? Me? Hell yeah! F technology and the bionic horse it flew in on.