Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Woops. Missed one.

The Strength of Internet Ties. At first I thought I thought this was going to be about virtual neckties and how durable they are, but of course it wasn't. Just when I thought there'd be an article about something I could relate to, along comes another exploration of web relationships. This thing was thick with information, much of which I skimmed over like low-flying aircraft. I guess people are using the internet more profoundly than some people thought. I don't know if I doubted this myself, but I also don't know if I would have thought to research it either. It seems we will never have the rural-Pleasantville-style community again now that the net is up and running at full steam. I never lived in one of those communities where everyone knows each other and is all up in one another's business, but it sounds lovely. If it wasn't for the net, I probably wouldn't keep in touch with any of my old friends. I don't like talking on the phone that much, and I've sent maybe five letters in my life, so the fact I can pop on send a quick "F.U." or "WazzuP DOod?" really helps maintain my meaningful relationships - whether they're a block or 2200 miles away.

No comments: